The following steps form the basis of the book I will be publishing later this year, and I am very excited to be giving you this little insight. They are also the core of the workshops I conduct for large organisations. Remember small changes can make an enormous difference to your health.
- Making the decision to change your life and improve your health. Avoid the health risks associated with being overweight and obese.
- Diets do not work; you need a change of lifestyle. Ditch the bad habits and learn to enjoy taking care of your miraculous body. Being in good health is a very precious gift which we need to nurture and enjoy.
- Simple changes will make a big difference – eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables; food prepared at home is healthy food. No more junk and processed food that makes us feel horrid, that clogs the arteries and makes you fat. I want you to think about everything that goes in your mouth; you really do know already what healthy food is. Processed foods are bad for our health. Ditch all processed foods for 30 days and feel the benefits to your health and vitality.
- Drink plenty of water and always keep water in your car for your journey and at your desk in the office, 75% of the western world is chronically dehydrated.
- The importance and benefits of exercise cannot be over emphasized. Exercise is key for many reasons: exercise lowers blood sugar levels, helps keep bowels working efficiently, boosts immunity, burns calories, encourages a good night’s sleep and boosts mood. Exercise gives you energy so “move that body”. If you have not exercised for a while start with 15 minutes twice a day. Exercise is something you should do without question, like cleaning your teeth. Make the time – it is for your health now and in the future. Exercise and feeling fit and healthy is very liberating. Find an exercise you enjoy – get a friend or partner involved, they will also benefit and you can encourage each other.
- It is important to breathe properly and have good posture. It is amazing but lots of people just don’t breathe correctly, they only take shallow breaths which do not oxygenate the body effectively. Focusing your attention on breathing correctly has the benefit of calming the body and is a form of meditation. Try Yoga.
- Get balance in your life and learn to laugh and live with joy. We all need balance in our lives so think about ways in which you can find time just for you. Time to be relaxed and quiet even 10 minutes twice a day will make you feel less stressed. We do live in a very stressful world so take a little time to enjoy your own company, quiet moments can be really important for the soul. Build this time into your life and start enjoying who you are and understanding yourself and your own needs.