Exercising regularly will greatly enhance your chances of achieving optimum health. When we build more physical activity into our lives it not only helps us to reduce weight, if needed, it will also make you feel happier and healthier. In addition exercise may protect you from heart disease and stroke and will increase general body fitness and wellbeing. Regular exercise also protects your bones and helps you avoid developing osteoporosis in later life by increasing mobility in your joints and preventing aches and pains and arthritis. Exercise helps reduce stress and is a wonderful way to relax and wind down.
Exercise – Exercising regularly will enhance your chances of achieving optimum health not only of your body, but also your mind. However, do not take exercise too close to your bedtime, as your body needs adequate time to cool and relax to maximise the potential for a good night’s sleep.
Exercise boosts energy levels and makes you feel good and there are many other health benefits including:
- Can lower blood sugar levels and promotes insulin efficiency – fatigue is a symptom of blood sugar imbalance.
- Helps keep bowels working efficiently to eliminate waste products your body does not need or want and which can slow you down.
- Boosts immunity which means you are less likely to become ill.
- Burns calories and builds up muscles. The more your muscle you build the speedier your metabolism becomes.
- Encourages a good night’s sleep
- Improves your sex life
- Boosts mood through the release of brain chemicals called endorphins.
Brisk walking as fast as you can – not strolling
Run up and down stairs ten times (good if weather is bad)
Dance with your children
Dance alone to your favorite music – no one is watching, enjoy
Swimming – wonderful, puts no strain on the joints
Go to the gym and really work those muscles
Ride a bicycle to the shops
Breathing – Breathing is something that we all do and often give little thought to and yet the power of breathing should not be underestimated. By breathing deeply oxygen is absorbed more easily into the body and can result in enhanced concentration and increased stamina. Endorphins are also released with each deep breath you take and can lead to improved feelings of wellbeing and in some cases pain relief. Breathing techniques and exercises can be considered a tonic and can help to calm the body, relieve stress and relax the mind.
You can read more about breathing exercises here.